General dentistry revolves around the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of different dental and oral problems. Ideally, more than two-thirds of the time spent in your dentist’s office should be for preventive and diagnostic procedures, since general dentistry focuses on promoting oral health and hygiene and helping to avoid the progression of oral diseases.
If dental and oral problems are ignored and left untreated, they may result in uncomfortable and severe symptoms that range from severe pain to tooth loss, as well as lost time at school or work and costly treatment procedures.
What General Dentists Do
As the primary providers of dental care to people of all ages, our general dentists are trained, skilled, and qualified to perform a wide array of services necessary for your continued dental and oral health, including:
- Professional cleanings and oral exams - To get rid of bacteria, plaque, and tartar that may cause decay and infections, and catch early signs of oral problems
- Extractions - To remove infected, broken, or impacted teeth that cannot be saved
- Fillings and crowns - To restore lost tooth structure
- Root canal therapy - To restore infected teeth
- Teeth whitening, bonding, veneers - To improve the appearance of your smile
- Bridgework, implants, and dentures - To replace missing teeth
- Orthodontics - To straighten teeth and fix misaligned bite
- TMD treatment - To correct jaw problems
- Oral cancer screening - To check for early signs of cancer for prompt treatment
- Oral surgery - To fix severe oral problems